Department of Biotechnology
Ministry of Science & Technology
Government of India
Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council
(A Govt. of India Enterprise)
Biotechnology Industry Partnership Programme (BIPP)
Regular Call for Proposals (23rd Batch)
(15th June – 31st July 2012)
Biotechnology Industry Partnership Programme (BIPP) is a Government Partnership Programme with industry for support on a cost sharing basis targeted at development of novel and high risk futuristic technologies mainly for viability gap funding and enhancing existing R&D capacities of Start-ups and SMEs in key areas of national importance and public good.
DBT is operating this scheme through BIRAC, a Not-for-Profit Company set up by Department of Biotechnology to promote and nurture innovation research in Biotech Enterprises specially Start-ups and SMEs. Major thrust of the programme is towards funding technologies which address a major national problem and/or involves high level of innovation. The proposals spanning across the spectrum of pre-proof-of-concept to validation of established technologies are considered for support in the form of grant and/or loan.
Ø BIPP supports:
• Large, medium, small scale companies as well as start-ups on cost sharing basis
• High risk, discovery linked innovation
• Accelerated technology development
• Evaluation and validation of biotech products
• Indigenous discovery, innovation and technology to products
• Products of national relevance or public benefit
Ø Support is also available for infrastructure/ facility set up
• In cases where such a facility leads to R&D capacity building or is required for scale up of an innovative product/process of national importance developed through company’s in-house R&D
• Facility proposed could be in the area of agriculture, healthcare, biosimilars, industrial processes, energy, bioinformatics, genomics and other relevant areas in biotechnology.
Ø Varying models of grants, loans or grant + loan available.
Proposals can be submitted by an Indian company, alone or in collaboration with a partner from another company/public funded organizations.
Proposals are required to be submitted online only. To submit a proposal online, please log on to the BIRAC website (www.birac.nic.in).No Hard Copy to be submitted. Proposals submitted online only would be considered.
Last date for Submission of Proposals under Regular Call: 31st July, 2012
Special Call for proposals under Affordable healthcare technologies and products
is also open till 30th June, 2012
Biotech Consortium India Limited (BCIL) is the BIPP Management Agency (BMA)
and will ensure maintenance of strict confidentiality of the proposals as per DBT norms.
Details of the scheme including eligibility requirements of the applicant company, collaborating organizations, categories for proposal submission; mechanism of evaluation; guidelines for percentage support as grant and loan; agreement templates; projects being supported etc.
are available at
For any queries, please contact:
Dr. Renu Swarup, Advisor In-charge-BIPP
Department of Biotechnology
Block No: 2, 7th Floor, CGO Complex
Lodi Road, New Delhi – 110 003, India
Announcement Date: 15-06-2012
Last Submission Date: 01-08-2012 12:00 AM