Vacancy Ref. No: BIRAC/Vac/04/2019
Vacancy in the Secretariat of Scientific Sub – Committee under the National Technical Board on Nutrition, BIRAC
As a part of the National Nutrition Mission of the Government of India POSHAN Abhiyan, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India has set up the Secretariat for the Scientific Sub – Committee (SSC) under the National Technical Board on Nutrition (NTBN) at BIRAC. The overall objective of the SSC – NTBN is to make technical recommendations to NTBN on the policy related issues from time to time. The SSC – NTBN would co-ordinate the collation, synthesis of existing scientific and operational research and identify research gaps for setting up of potential research agenda.
Applications are invited from qualified and experienced professionals for the post of Research Scientist (Clinical) in the Secretariat of the SSC – NTBN (Scientific Sub – Committee under the National Technical Board on Nutrition) at BIRAC, New Delhi, India.
Research Scientist (Clincial): Position Code (RS-01) - 1 position
The Research scientist will serve in the Secretariat for Scientific Sub-Committee of National Technical Board on Nutrition in the areas of:
• Nutritional aspects related to Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health, and other age groups as deemed relevant National Technical Board on Nutrition.
• Managing day-to-day activities under the working issues of Scientific Sub-Committee.
Reporting to Head of the Secretariat at BIRAC, the Research Scientist (RS) will have the opportunity to interact and work with thought leaders and leading scientists in India; contribute strategic thinking and forward-looking analysis in relevant areas; communicate progress and setbacks against strategic goals; and importantly create and manage activities envisaged as part of a Secretariat for SSC-NTBN.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
a. Coordination and administration of all aspects of ongoing activities including planning and implementation.
b. Responsible for organizing all Meetings, Interaction and Advisory Group Discussion including conferences and workshops under the purview of SSC-NTBN.
c. Providing scientific expertise to identify research gaps for setting up potential research agenda.
d. To coordinate the collation, synthesis of existing scientific and operational research.
e. To provide technical assistance to SSC-NTBN for designing of nutrition surveys.
f. To aid the Scientific sub-committee in examining malnutrition related challenges such as high prevalence of anemia, diarrhoea etc., its causes, potential interventions, and for evolving long-term strategies like Bio-fortification for mitigation of anemia, micronutrient malnutrition and protein malnutrition.
g. Ensure timely execution of all activities.
h. Synthesize and document results from various scientific discussions and meetings including preparing briefings and portfolio reviews to leadership;
i. Prepare detailed analytical reports on the project related subjects, interact with experts for issues under review.
j. To be an important liaison officialwith DBT (Department of Biotechnology) and the DHR (Department of Health Research).
k. Prepare and implement an effective communication strategy.
l. To work and communicate with key stakeholders including members of Technical Advisory Groups, BIRAC, DBT and DHR and other scientific experts for implementation of ongoing programme and identifying new challenges.
m. In addition to scientific expertise, the Research scientist must also bring in passion, humility, and critical thinking for the unique problems and the questions relevant to BIRAC’s mission.
Qualifications and Experience
Essential: M.D. in Community medicine/Preventive and Social Medicine or related discipline with minimum 3 years of experience in academic, industry or similar position.
• Master’s in Public health or in Nutrition is preferable.
• Experience working with the health community and with governmental and non-governmental organizations.
• General knowledge of child / maternal health and cultural factors in the context of India and the developing world.
• Experience in Project management, monitoring and evaluation, including development of conceptual frameworks, management of monitoring systems, implementation and - supervision of evaluations and reporting of evaluation findings.
• Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communications in a broad and diverse audience on a range of complex technical issues.
• Strong planning and analytical skills. Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated capacity and experience to handle collaboration within an organization and with external partners, as well as an ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team effort.
• Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment with multiple and competing demands.
• Proactive and flexible nature with reliable follow-through and attention to detail.
• Ability to work both independently and in a cooperative and collegial fashion.
• Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
Age Limit – Not more than 45 years as on the date of closing of application.
Period of Appointment: The appointment will be for a period of three years or till the duration of the Project whichever is earlier.
Salary: The consolidated remuneration for the position of Research Scientist(s) will be Rs. 1,08,000/- per month. Candidates appointed will not be eligible for Non-Practicing Allowance.
Interested Candidates should apply at email@example.com in the prescribed format enclosed as Document I.
Applications received by post and not on the prescribed format will not be considered.
Last date for receipt of ONLINE applications on the aforementioned email is 19th August, 2019.
Notwithstanding anything contained herein or elsewhere; the decisions taken by BIRAC shall be binding upon all concerned.