Mission Director (Vacancy – 1)
Program Manager (Vacancy – 3)
1. About the Mission:
The National Biopharma Mission is an Industry-Academia Collaborative Mission of Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India for Accelerating Early Development for Biopharmaceuticals; to be implemented by Biotechnology Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)-a Public Sector Undertaking of DBT
Approved by the Government for implementation at a total cost US$ 250 million the Mission is co-funded 50% with World Bank loan assistance.
The Mission Programme is a Pan-India Programme with the main aim of making India a hub for design and development of novel, affordable and effective biopharmaceutical products and solutions. This Program would aidin enhancing India’s innovation research and product development capabilities, especially by focusing on development of vaccines, biologics and medical devices for combating public health concerns. The Program would aid academic researchers (through enhancing their translation capability); empower bio-entrepreneurs and SMEs (by decreased cost and risk during early stages of product development) and the industry (by elevating their innovation quotient). Anticipated long term impact would benefit the Indian population at large benefit due to availability of affordable solutions and products relevant to Indian health needs.
Click here to view more details about the Mission Programme
2. About the Implementation Agency:
Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) a Public Sector Undertaking of the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, and Government of India has been entrusted the responsibility of implementing this Program. It will housethe Program Management Unit (PMU) thatwould work as an operational and functional arm to oversee and monitor program implementation.
3. Job Descriptions
Managing Director, Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)
i. Position Overview
The Mission Director is a Senior Level position requiring strong leadership. The Mission Director will lead the Mission programme at the Program Management Unit (PMU) and be responsible for effective management (organization, planning, execution and evaluation) of the i3 Program. He/She will oversee the establishment and management of strategies, build efficient teams, monitor program progress and ensure financial accuracy. Working closely with global and national thought leaders and scientific experts, the Mission Director will have an opportunity to engage with multiple stakeholders (academia, industry, SMEs) and lead a team of Technical Coordinators to enable accomplishment of activities in alignment with the i3 Program strategy and vision.
The key responsibilities would include, but are not limited to:
Activity and resource planning:
- Develop and operationalize strategies to ensure efficient and timely execution of the program activities;
- Oversee and ensure the development and implementation of work plans and management systems that result in effective program execution as defined in the Program Implementation Plan;
- Manage day to day activities and take decisions as per the policy framework and guidelines laid down by the Steering Committee;
- Responsible for resource planning for all program investments and ensuring adequate budget provision for smooth implementation of the Program and various components.
Stakeholder and Team Management:
- Synchronize the functions of the various components for achieving Program goals with efficiency and economy;
- Coordinate and engage with various stakeholders, ensuring maintenance of partnership values;
- Link between Steering Committee, Program Technical Advisory Group, Scientific Advisory Groups and the various operational units to ensure efficient flow of information and facilitate inter-linkages between individual components;
- Coordinating and ensuring regular conduct of meetings of various committees as per their respective Terms of Reference;
- Represent the Mission Program to the external world.
Financial and Legal Management:
- Cost estimating and developing the budget
- Working with Legal and Finance teams to ensure compliance of all necessary contracts and agreements;
- Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting;
- Assessment of probable risks and create solutions to address them;
- Flag issues/bottlenecks raised by PMU or any stakeholder grievances and escalate to competent authority for corrective action;
- Ensure effective quality assurance and the overall integrity of the program;
The ideal candidate shall have a strong knowledge of vaccines, biotherapeutics and/or medical devices/diagnostics product development value chain particularly from early stages to clinical development and/or market licensure. He/She will have a track record of strong engagement with partners (likely both private and public-sector partners), and the ability to build and execute strategic plans as well as inspire teams engaged in a wide range of disciplines and technologies.
a. Essential :
- Educational qualification –A PhD/equivalent in life sciences/biological sciences or allied areas;
- Duration of experience - at least 20 years of experience, including 5 years of management experience, preferably in the Industry with understanding of product development;
- Relevant experience in development of vaccines, biotherapeutics or medical devices/diagnostics.
b. Desirable :
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements for product development
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Proven negotiation and issue resolution skills required. Ability to proactively identify and act to resolve project issues, including those related to timing, resources and funding, to prevent delays in project milestones is required
- Excellence in team building skills and organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Experience cultivating partnerships across diverse stakeholders (i.e. potentially across industry collaborations, through governments, or other NGO partnerships) as well as with academia and the start-up ecosystems
- Strong marketing and public relations with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate relationships
- Knowledge of the national and global ecosystem including in-country needs and opportunities
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
iii. Age Limit: 55 years as on Date of Closing of Application
3.2 Program Manager (PM)
i. Position Summary & Responsibilities
The Program Manager (PM) will serve in the Program Management Unit for i3 program at BIRAC and should have expertise in the translational sciences and product development related to Biotherapeutics (vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, Biosimilars) and Devices and Diagnostics.
Reporting to Mission Director (PMU), the PM will have the opportunity to interact and work with thought leaders and leading scientists both in India and internationally; contribute to strategic thinking and forward looking analysis in relevant areas; communicate progress and setbacks against strategic goals; and importantly create and manage grants/contracts as part of a team for various projects supported under the Mission.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Responsibilities for Implementation of the Mission Program which includes writing of RFAs for soliciting proposals, working with national and international experts for scientific evaluation and assessment of proposal.
- Manage substantial portfolio of complex grants requiring high-level grant management skills.
- Working with Legal and Finance to get all necessary Contracts and Agreements ready for the I3 Program.
- Coordination and administration of all aspects of new and ongoing projects including planning and implementation.
- Responsible for all Program Investment and Financial Planning.
- Ensure timely execution of all activities.
- Proper monitoring both technical and financial of the projects working closely with the SAG, TAG and SC for project review, new area prioritization and preparing a strategy for implementation.
- Responsible for organizing all Meetings, Interaction and Advisory Group Discussion including international conferences and workshops.
- In addition to scientific expertise, the Program Manager must also bring in passion, humility, and critical thinking for the unique problems and the questions relevant to BIRAC’s mission.
- Prepare and implement an effective communication and outreach strategy.
- To work and communicate with grantees and key stakeholders including members of Technical Advisory Groups, BIRAC, DBT and World Bank.
ii. Qualifications and Experience
- Ph.D. / equivalent in Life Science / Biological Sciences with broad and deep knowledge in project management in the areas of health care.
- 5-8 years of experience in academic, industry or similar position.
- Experience in Project management, monitoring and evaluation, including development of conceptual frameworks, management of monitoring systems, implementation and – supervision of evaluations and reporting of evaluation findings.
- Experience in technology assessment and matching novel technologies in the field of Bio-therapeutics and medical devices and diagnostics development preferred.
- Experience in the execution, conduct and/or management of performance based grants, contracts or cooperative agreements.
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communications in a broad and diverse audience on a range of complex technical issues.
- Strong planning and analytical skills. Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated capacity and Experience to handle collaboration within an organization and with external partners, as well as ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team effort.
- Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet deadlines within a fast paced environment with multiple and competing demands.
- Proactive and flexible nature with reliable follow-through and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in a cooperative and collegial fashion.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Technical Proficiency in relevant areas like Vaccines, Biotherapeutics and Medical Devices which include experience in conducting research, product development and conducting clinical trials with understanding of the regulatory environment.
iii. Age Limit – 45 years as on the date of closing of applications.
All positions are on a 3 years contract extendable by 2 years on the length of the Program duration based on performance.
Attractive Emoluments commensurate with qualification and experience will be as per the decision of the Selection Committee for the level of appointment. Indicative levelwise remuneration is given in the Table at Document II.
Interested candidate may apply at the firstname.lastname@example.org in the prescribed format at Document III.
Last Date of Application is 30th November, 2017.